Call for Contributing Artists
Criteria for NeoRio Contributing Artists
A Guide for curators and contributing artists – submission deadline July 1, 2012
Contributing artists are encouraged to join LEAP and the Wild Earth Studio Team for the “NeoRio Artist Rendezvous” in May, 2012 to create work for the NeoRio Symposium in the fall.
All artworks shall be ecologically sound and not disturb natural environments, harm local flora and fauna or cause damage to the installation site or surrounding areas.
All Artwork by Contributing Artists for NeoRio must be:
- Original works
- Related in some way to the theme: Powers of Sun, Wind and Water
- Contemporary, unusual, unique and provocative
- Place-based and/or site-specific
- Related to particular natural elements or inhabitants of the Wild Rivers Recreation Area
- Developed or created in some way to manifest specifically for NeoRio
- Innovative, informative and probing in content and/or manifestation
- Available for public or other artists to view or engage with at the time of NeoRio
Contributing Artists involved in NeoRio are expected to be present at the site during the event and are encouraged to give a presentation about their work to other artists and volunteers with presentation formality to be determined by each individual artist. Installations must be developed with planned artistic obsolescence within a one-year time period or disassembled within a pre-established time frame or other special arrangements made with LEAP and the BLM Taos Field Office. All sites involved in artistic activity shall be completely refurbished to their original condition.
Artists are encouraged to make professional, good quality, promotional materials (including high resolution images) available to the event coordinators at least 2 months prior to the event date.
Artworks including all media that are simply “scenic reproductions” of the Wild Rivers Recreation Area are not eligible for inclusion in NeoRio. Art works/projects are preferred for inclusion in NeoRio that are first venue or debut in nature. Artworks including all media that are simply “scenic reproductions” of the Wild Rivers Recreation Area are not eligible for inclusion in NeoRio. Artworks for sale and purchased as a result of exposure at NeoRio will share 10% of the sale with the NeoRio fund to help defray future event costs.
What we offer to NeoRio Contributing Artists (at this time)
- At this time we cannot provide a stipend for contributing artists
- Listing in some publicity materials
- Documentation of the event (method determined on a case by case basis and available resources)
All submissions from potential Contributing Artists for NeoRio 2012 must be received by July 1, 2012. All submissions must reflect points outlined above. Submissions should include a brief project description (up to 500 words), images, proposal drawings and or video links, and artist statement. Submissions can be made digitally by email (preferred) or by mail:
Email submissions or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail submissions to:
Claire Coté – LEAP
HC 81 Box 685
Questa, NM 87556